Quick pathology question

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Jenni

Quick pathology question

Post by Jenni » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:32 am

Catherine (or someone), can you tell me in easier to understand terms what this means?  

Multiple sections from the left lower leg medial and lateral demonstrate a melanocytic lesion which is well-circumscribed and consists of a nested and focally lentiginous proliferation of cytologically bland melanocytes at the dermal-epidermal as well as nests of nevus cells in the dermis.  The dermal component shows architechtural and cytologic maturation with increasing dermal depth.  

I am just wondering what bland means in terms of nevi....and mostly if the last sentence is worrisome at all?  Again, this is Stanford pathology so I would assume it is a good one   I just got the report today, but was told a few weeks ago, over the phone, no worries, they are benign.  That was it.  Just double checking here, to make sure I can forget these and move on

Thanks so much!
Jenni

TreeFrog

Re: Quick pathology question

Post by TreeFrog » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:55 am

Hi Jenni,
I'm not a doctor ... just someone who had a Stage I a year ago (... or was it two years ago ... hey, folks, I can't remember!) and did a lot of research into terminology. I don't see anything worrisome here. I don't know all the definitions, but one thing I can tell you is that the description of a benign mole, in medical terms, looks just as scary as the description of something malignant! The main thing to know is that it is benign - good news!
Best wishes,
~Wendy

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Good to hear from you Wendy and happy you've forgotten when you had melanoma.   I will echo Wendy in that there is nothing in this report to be alarmed about.  Sounds all normal and benign!
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation
The MIF Website and Forums are designed for educational purposes only and are not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. The information provided through this Website should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or a disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, you should consult your health care provider.

Shirley Z

Post by Shirley Z » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:04 am

Hi Wendy,
Glad to hear all is well for you.  Don't be a stranger, we still like hearing from you. 
Shirley Z

Jenni

Post by Jenni » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:05 am

Thanks ladies for your responses!  I am putting these two behind me!  
And Wendy, you are so right, the wording of a benign mole can look just as scary as a melanoma!  My melanoma was one of the simplest descriptions, it was melanoma in situ, inflamed, close to one border.  That was IT  

Hi Shirley!  I am on the forum off and on, trying to write to a few people when I can, to help others that are new in their diagnosis as I was FREAKED 2 yrs ago when I found out.  

I hope the weather stabilizes out there in the midwest, it breaks my heart to read about the small town in Indiana (and elsewhere) and the total destruction....a mother loses her legs to save her children....an entire family (mom/dad/3kids) gone....too sad.  Makes me try even harder to enjoy my life NOW!

I am making a trip back to see my friends and family in May...I cannot wait, I love Indiana in May (minus the storms)!!
Going to Paris in June and enjoying EVERY minute of my daughter right now as she wanders around the house babbling to herself and kissing the dogs!

Have a great week everyone!
Jenni

randybonnette

Post by randybonnette » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Hello,

I've been investigating the case since 2016, when my granny was diagnosed with skin cancer. We thought it was just a benign mole and quite a lot of time passed till we actually checked it and it turned out to be a melanoma. I contacted Timothy DiChiara, PhD, then and later he wrote his article How Can You Tell If It's a Mole or Skin Cancer. We also registered on the Skincancer org Foundation.
Quite an interesting read: Are moles determined by genetics - https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/moles

Randy Bonnette, Kinesiology department

write my essay

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am

Wallace Clark, MD actually discovered the dysplastic nevi syndrome that appears in families who have many "funny" looking moles.. And I would disagree that fair skin usually grows moles, you will spot many on people of color. Interesting article though.