Whole Body Photography?

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Catherine Poole

Re: Whole Body Photography?

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Barb,
If you google, whole body photography dermatology Boston, you will see a whole host of places, I would go to one connected to a teaching university though, such as Mass General, or Boston University. But there are plenty of options in Boston.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Jenni

Post by Jenni » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:23 pm

Beth Israel does in Boston.

chas66

Post by chas66 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 am

If anybody comes up with something for Western NY, I'd love to hear about it. Haven't been able to locate anyone.

tbeau

Post by tbeau » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:22 am

I would also like to know if anyone knows of a place in the upstate (Capital District) NY area. I only know of one photographer who does it locally and he will not do it unless I switch dermatologists because he only works with that dermatologist. I didn't want to do that so I didn't pursue it any further.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 am

I am not having any luck finding a place near you. You can do this yourself with your partner. Using a digital camera, take photos of your moles and skin areas of concern. Otherwise you may have to travel to NYC. Do you have any teaching institutions nearby? How about the general area you are near in upstate NY?
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

tbeau

Post by tbeau » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Catherine. Thank you for responding. I live in Albany, NY. I can try Albany Medical Center which has a teaching hospital. I could also travel to NYC or Boston. They are both about a 3 hour trip. Thank you again.

jensean

Post by jensean » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 am

I am going to the John Allen Body Photography Center in New York City. My dermatologist who is affiliated with Sloan-Kettering sends all her patients to this center. They have both a female and male photographer and will give both you and your dermatologist a CD.

Lisa P

Post by Lisa P » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm

I originally had my grid photographs taken at Swedish Hospital in Seattle. Unfortunately, they're no longer providing this service. My skin oncologist now uses the following company in Bellevue, Washington. Feel free to let me know if you have questions or would like additional information. I can't stress enough the importance of having these photographs taken. They have provided me with much comfort and good information over the past few years (i.e., when a "funny looking" mole isn't worth touching as it hasn't changed at all, or when something shows up that wasn't there before).

Mike Kearny, Grid Photography
email: designit@seanet.com
425/377-2902

Mike operates out of Dr. Carla Bauman's Dermatology Office, so you can reach him either at his company's number (above), or through Dr. Bauman at at 425/455-3376, Lisa

toastwave

Post by toastwave » Thu May 02, 2013 12:11 pm

I'll be going to DermaTrack soon. They are based in PA but travel all over in the mid-Atlantic and NE; we are in MD. I'll let you know how they turn out later in the summer.

Prd10

Post by Prd10 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi! Just wanted to add some advice / caution to this. I had my pictures taken exactly a year ago at a pigmented lesion clinic already on this list. Fast forward exactly one year and a new dermatologist in the pigmented lesion clinic wants new pictures for his fancy new software and computer. He essentially said the pictures done previously, which were professionally done at the same hospital, are crap.

When I had the pictures done a year ago the dermatologist put stickers pointing at the moles that were of concern then had photographer snap pictures of my whole body. I was mailed a set of pictures and I found them to be very high quality and useful. I guess this other dermatologist is suggesting that with this new software they can get much more detail and track better. He didn't even want to look at the physical pictures I carried with me to my appointment.

I am not sure if this is a new thing or not or if it really changed in the one year. Just feeling duped and frustrated that I am likely to spend the $300+ again, not to mention the time commitment. I guess just make sure you are getting the latest and greatest technology has to offer at the time.