My pathology report still confuses me

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Bella4444

My pathology report still confuses me

Post by Bella4444 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:15 am

Hiiiiiii again haha

I just came across my pathology report and I want to write it in full and get an idea if this confuses anyone else...ok here it is in full.

MICROSCOPIC:
Skin sections show confluent proliferation of atypical melanocytes at the derm0-epidermal junction, singly and in nests.
There is upward migration of melanocytes into the epidermis but no evident ulceration. A few nests of atypical melanocytes also penetrate into the underlying dermis to Clark level 111 and measured depth of 0.75mm. The cells have a naevoid morphology and no definite mitoses are seen. Part of the lesion may be a pre existing naevus. The lesion is associated with a brisk lymphocytic infiltrate. There is no evidence of peri neural or vascular invasion. Excision of the lesion appears complete by a margin of 1.00mm from the insitu component, 3.6mm from the invasive component and 4.62mm from the deep margin.

Does any of this seem confusing or is this a normal sounding report??? This was from the first biopsy, I then obviously got the wle and was clear.
I’m confused about the insitu and invasive.....I’m confused about naevoid morphology and confluent proliferation....

Any insights?
Thank you x

Catherine Poole

Re: My pathology report still confuses me

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:50 am

This appears to be a nevus, a mole, that showed no signs of mitosis, (growth) or characteristics of melanoma. I would not think this is anything to be concerned about. They use a lot of words that are confusing though!
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Bella4444

Post by Bella4444 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks Catherine

This was my melanoma report...should I get someone else to look at it or is it too late now, or just forget it and be happy with the stage 1 diagnosis I was given?

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Ok, it is confusing. Yes, I would get another opinion on the slides. You are close to the depth of SLNB but there was no mitosis. Did they discuss that?

Bella4444

Post by Bella4444 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:35 pm

They said I didn’t need one as it was nothing more than a staging tool and as it was thin they thought the cons outweighed the pros...

How do I go about getting someone else to look at the slides?

That’s what I thought if the melanoma had started growing vertically surely that would mean a mitocic rate would be given....it was a mole I had for as long as I can remember like childhood..

And can it have both an insitu component and invasive??? I have no idea why I’m looking into this a year later!

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:30 am

Yes, it can have insitu and invasive both. But I would send the slides (ask the medical facility) to an expert. We think Martin Mihm is tops but it may be $300 out of pocket for his staff to review the slides. His contact is:
Brigham and Women's Hospital

Mihm Cutaneous Pathology Consultative Service

41 Avenue Louis Pasteur

Suite 320

Boston, MA 02115

Phone: (617) 264-3030

Fax: (617) 264-3013