2.5 years

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Sole

2.5 years

Post by Sole » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:39 pm

As of Feb 25th 2019, Id like to report that, despite a splenic granuloma and other very weird stuff that a normal person never hears about (because they don't get scanned every 6 months), according to my 2.5 year CT scan, I appear to still be NED of a really scary melanoma initial lesion under the right foot.

Why is that? Is it my immune system keeping the circulating melanoma cells in my body in check? Is it my complete diet overhaul including recent ketogenic self experiment to extreme levels of ketosis (although I have backed down significantly!)? Is it the propranolol I've recently added to my now much more reasonable regimen of supplement taking, alongside balancing my overall hormonal balance, that disrupts the angiogenic factors to grow some fatal tumours inside me? Is it the limited scope of the currently available scans that are not able to pick up metastatic tumours bigger than 3-5mm brewing somewhere in my body? Is it because I'm just lucky at the moment?

When does one begin to live without the fear of melanoma recurrence? When is it safe to think you may be a little out of the woods? What has gone wrong in the first place anyway? I am a type of guy who likes to at least understand what goes on. Just understand. But melanoma and cancer is highly elusive. Some brilliant scientists are just beginning to unveil some mechanisms involved with this dreadful disease. One day, I believe, cancer will just be like a cold. Many centuries ago, when you had such begnin disease as a cold or other easily manageable conditions, you were sometimes condemned, much like cancer is today, for some of us. And much like in those remote days, we don't really know how to manage cancer today, like humans didn't really know how to manage syphillis then, for example.

So, when does one begin to live without fearing for his life and feeling like living in the Middle Ages all over again? This is my current struggle.

Peace all.

Catherine Poole

Re: 2.5 years

Post by Catherine Poole » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:10 am

We have made incredible progress with melanoma treatment in the 20 years I have worked with it and lived with it. We know so much more and the new immunotherapies and braf drugs are now available for stage 2/3 to possibly prevent a stage 4 progression. But we all must live with the knowledge that stuff happens even to the healthiest of us for no apparent reason. That's why living in the moment or the day is so important. It is hard but worth the effort. Be well..
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation