Diet?? What I learned from scientific meeting (SMR)

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Catherine Poole

Diet?? What I learned from scientific meeting (SMR)

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:06 am

Just wanted to share with low and high risk folks a little nugget of information that may or may not help. The study was small and not ready for prime time but it found that probiotics were not helpful and may hinder immunotherapy. Instead, a high fiber diet was a positive influence. I will be writing more soon..this was from the SMR (Society of Melanoma Research meeting with an MD Anderson researcher speaking)
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Tinlady

Re: Diet?? What I learned from scientific meeting (SMR)

Post by Tinlady » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:01 am

Oh no! I’ve just spent £40 on probiotics after reading that they helped!🙄 Is there anything out there that can be taken to help potential side effects of immunotherapy?

Turmeric and kefir were others I’d heard about??

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:38 am

If you have side effects I don't believe there is anything "natural" that can help. The doctors discussed to keep in mind that reduction of treatment can help than resuming. High fiber would mean a diet high in vegetables and fruits (fresh) and we all need more of that. I would also take vitamin D to help with the immune system. But don't worry about the probiotics, if they help you can take them. It was one study from MDA that is new and not proven yet. I thought it was interesting though. I also believe in organic produce that isn't tainted with herbicides and pesticides if you can find it. We're all rooting for you! Keep in touch

kylez

Post by kylez » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:40 pm

The Parker Institute has an article here, https://www.parkerici.org/2018/11/08/co ... -patients/. I think what is written is probably from some of the same sources you heard at the conference.

I stopped eating probiotic-labelled yogurt, which is easy to do. But if the theorized goal is promoting gut biome diversity, I wonder how wide the researchers' definition of 'probiotic' goes. Would they extend that to include all live culture food products? Plain basic yogurt has at least 2 active cultures I think. Cheese is cultured, and some other foods are as well like tempeh and Miso.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:52 am

It was an MD Anderson researcher who was talking about probiotic supplements (not those that occur naturally in yogurt) but those you buy in pill or other form.

kylez

Post by kylez » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 am

I think it may be the same group of people that this suspicion about probiotics is coming from, that you passed on to us from the conference you were at. The two researchers in that article were or are both from MD Anderson -- both from a lab at MDA that works on immunotherapy, as well as 2 other researchers mentioned. That institute is set up as an umbrella for researchers from several organizations to communicated with each other, including MDA, so it probably is. I'm still leery of yogurt!

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53 am

I don't think it is the yogurt, but instead of those products that have probiotic additives or the other forms of probiotics that health food chains sell. That's ok, I'm leery of all foods until the govt shutdown ends and the FDA inspects the food again. I had food poisoning over the holidays and I was really sick!

Sole

Post by Sole » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Catherine, I believe you are referring to Jennifer Wargo's findings and if so, I thought this was extremely promising to me. Gut microbiome CAN be altered to allow a stronger immune system response and so we have now the «gut feeling» that diet can influence the out come of our disease. Diversity and special strains of certain beneficial bacterias are definitelyy associated with better response in stage 4 patient going under PD1 treatments. Why not apply this earlier? Why not alter our microbiome NOW to reduce (eradicate&) the odds of melanoma recurrence? I have started investigating this further. FMT (Fecal matter transplant) may be a last resort but will be considered at some point to enhance PD1 responses. Passed the taboo, when faced with options of life or death, I don't think its hard to choose.

Btw, is there a way to reach you by email directly? I'd like to connect please.

THanks

Marc, still stage 2b at 2 years after much advocacy but struggling to stay afloat and going for 2.5 year CT soon.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:50 pm

That study is early but you never know. You can email me at: cpoole@melanomainternational.org