Shrinking Lymph Node

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Rags82

Shrinking Lymph Node

Post by Rags82 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Hello! My stage IV started with a lymph node in my right armpit that grew to the size of a chicken egg. I have yet to start any treatment but it has gotten smaller. Has anyone had a lymph node that shrunk without any treatment? Do they rupture perhaps?
Thanks, Rags

Catherine Poole

Re: Shrinking Lymph Node

Post by Catherine Poole » Sun May 05, 2019 7:25 am

I'm sorry to hear about your issue with the lymph node. I would not hesitate to get this treated. Certainly with the braf/mek and immunotherapies you should be treated. Sometimes the melanoma cells travel through the lymph node to the blood stream to other organs. So treatment should be a priority now. They may want to remove this node to test it for the BRAF and other mutations. Please get this squared away asap. Let us know how you are doing.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Rags82

Post by Rags82 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:47 am

Catherine,
Thank You for you comments/response. I have had an Ultrasound, CT, Needle Core Biopsy, CAT Scan, MRI (brain, clear) and BRAF test. I was notified two weeks ago that I have Metastatic Melanoma and it had spread via lymph system to another region making me Stage IV. I start immunotherapy tomorrow, however, over the past 2 weeks, my chicken egg size lymph node has shrunk to nearly 1/4 of it's size without any immunotherapy.

With that said, back to my original question; Why would a extra large lymph node shrink? Perhaps they rupture? Also, has anyone experienced this?

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue May 07, 2019 11:17 am

It could shrink on its own or burst as well. The medical team should evaluate it and possibly remove it for further testing (BRAF etc.)
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation