Triple Therapy Looks Very Promising

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage IV melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Catherine Poole

Triple Therapy Looks Very Promising

Post by Catherine Poole » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:03 am

For BRAF positive, combining braf/mek and Keytruda has good results: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20190 ... anoma.aspx
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

marta010

Re: Triple Therapy Looks Very Promising

Post by marta010 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:48 am

Hi Catherine - just wanted to share that my husband has been on Tafinlar since 2013 as a single agent (not able to tolerate MEK) and concurrently on Keytruda & Tafinlar since March 2018 outside of a clinical trial setting. I'm not exactly sure how his oncologist has managed to get his insurance to pay for both but not asking too many questions!

He was fairly stable on the Tafinlar from 2013 - 2018 with the exception of two brain mets. Added Keytruda after the second met and is "sort of" NED since January 2019. His scans in Jan were clear in both body and brain but the April scans showed some residual activity in a previously active lymph node that was not apparent in the Jan scans. We're waiting for his scans in July to see what's happening. Side effects from the dual therapy are primarily fatigue and muscle/joint pain. Also had a recurrence of Uveitis which he has had on and off since 2013. All in all, not much difference in the side effects after adding Keytruda.

Ann

Catherine Poole

Re: Triple Therapy Looks Very Promising

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 am

Ann,
Sounds like good news! We have to get creative with what we have. I didn't see any great new discoveries out of ASCO otherwise. But new markers may be the pathway to better drugs. Yes, don't ask how the insurance covered this, just go with it! Sounds like you have a great medical team. Thanks for checking in.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation