Newly diagnosed

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.
Sally2412

Newly diagnosed

Post by Sally2412 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:22 pm

I was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma (in situ) on my upper arm and basil cell on my lower leg. I used Aldara cream for 6 weeks on the basil cell and no other treatmeant was recommended. I had a punch biopsy for both. The melanoma was 2mm x 3mm. I had a wide area excision about a week after the diagnosis and clear margins were maintained. My pathology report reads:

There is a junctional proliferation of atypical melanocytes arranged singly and in nests. The cells show enlarged pleomorphic nuclei. Intrapidermal migration is seen. Sox 10 immunostain demonstrates confluent basilar melanocytosis.

Melanoma in situ- Excision within 2 weeks.

I'm trying to make sense of the pathology report although I realize that "in situ" is the best possible outcome.

I'm trying not to panic but it is so scary. This outdoor loving person will wear sun protection clothing and sun screen ALL THE TIME when outdoors.

Thank you so much for this site. It has been such a great source of information. Googling is so scary.

Catherine Poole

Re: Newly diagnosed

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:38 am

Yes, insitu is best possible diagnosis. I would guess the doc is doing another excision because a punch biopsy was done initially. So happy you will be doing some sun safe practices and yes googling will drive you crazy. Only go to HonCode sites, see the decal at the top right part of the page.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

carlakitty

Post by carlakitty » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi...I was just diagnosed with Stage 0 melanoma on my left forearm. I am shocked and scared. Can anyone help me?

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 am

This is a best possible diagnosis. There is zero chance of spread which is our worry with melanoma.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation