Melanoma/skin cancer

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage III melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
tutu10

Melanoma/skin cancer

Post by tutu10 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:32 pm

Hey, I was diagnosed with stage 3b melanoma summer 2017... had several surgeries and chose the wait and watch program with a healthy diet. I'm also working on a collection of scars- so far though I only have one big one shaped like a tipped over question mark on my back and three smaller ones (and one other smaller one unrelated) but I'm sure my dermatologist will keep adding more as he takes off anything suspicious :) I never went tanning but my grandpa died of melanoma when I was little so I'm guessing it was genetics.

Catherine Poole

Re: Melanoma/skin cancer

Post by Catherine Poole » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:15 am

Welcome to the forum. Less than 4% of melanoma is hereditary, but redheads do seem to be in the top number of getting it. Very fair skin and freckling are often barometers of the skin that is sensitive to the sun. I hope you are being followed regularly with check ups. Please check in and ask questions here. We have a great community.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

tocnaza

Re: Melanoma/skin cancer

Post by tocnaza » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:42 am

Hello tutu10!

Redheads may suffer more melanoma. Check it well with your doctor every few months.

Best regards,