Possible disease progression

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage III melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Tracyyy123

Possible disease progression

Post by Tracyyy123 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am

Hi, my mother had a CT today which showed enlarged hilar and mediastinal nodes in her chest and the oncologist immediately sent her for a PET/CT on Thursday. I was hoping so much for stable or clear results, now I am worried that the treatment has stopped working. She is on a trial Dab/Tram + spartalizumab immunotherapy /or placebo. In the end of summer she had pneumonitits, is it possible that those nodes are inflamed due to some infection....I really hope so.

Catherine Poole

Re: Possible disease progression

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:50 am

So sorry to her of this complication. Hopefully, if it is something to worry about it, you've caught it early! That is the beauty of clinical trials, the close monitoring of patients. Please let us know what you find out as I am also interested in this trial. Hang in there..
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Tracyyy123

Post by Tracyyy123 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi Catherine,

The results are in, and I am a bit relieved because I think they are more positive than negative:

"Increased metabolic activity in the area of mediastinal lymph nodes which most probably is result of pseudoprogression or sarcoidosis /as a side effect from treatment/, but possible disease progression could not be completely excluded."

There is still some uncertainty, but I am very positive that it is a side effect of treatment. Now I am more convinced she is getting spartalizumab, not the placebo.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:24 pm

I hope the mostly good news continues!
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation