Left armpit aching

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage III melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Happy_girl

Left armpit aching

Post by Happy_girl » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:17 am

Hello! It’s been several weeks since I’ve been on. A while ago i commented that my placenta was sent off and tested- it came back negative/clear!!!

So now I’m panicking a little bit. My left arm (where I had my CLND( has been aching. I know it’s most likely because of breast feeding, but I’m wondering if I should call and make an appointment with my oncologist. I don’t feel any lumps, but I’m just panicking. My next appointment is April. Thanks for your insight!

Catherine Poole

Re: Left armpit aching

Post by Catherine Poole » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:48 am

If you will be reassured, go ahead and see the doctor sooner. I can imagine there might be aching after CLND dissection. Sounds like otherwise the baby and you are doing well!
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Linny

Re: Left armpit aching

Post by Linny » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:13 am

Happy_girl wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:17 am
Hello! It’s been several weeks since I’ve been on. A while ago i commented that my placenta was sent off and tested- it came back negative/clear!!!

So now I’m panicking a little bit. My left arm (where I had my CLND( has been aching. I know it’s most likely because of breast feeding, but I’m wondering if I should call and make an appointment with my oncologist. I don’t feel any lumps, but I’m just panicking. My next appointment is April. Thanks for your insight!
Happy to hear the good news about the placenta!

When I had my CLND, there were some superficial nerves that had been cut to help with pain control. Did you experience something similar? If yes, then perhaps the achiness you're feeling is because sensation is returning to that area (and it does all return). Think about it: you're supporting an infant and and your arm is in the same position just long enough to put some strain on your muscles. And if you haven't had sensation in that area for a while, it can definitely get your attention. I hope that's all it is.

But, your best bet still would be to follow up with your doctor to ease your mind.
Stage III, Unknown Primary; 1 positive node in left axilla