new development

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage III melanoma, as well as to answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
georgec1

new development

Post by georgec1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 am

I posted about six months ago that my oncologist told me they were seeing something on my lung that might be cancer. I took my next scan in April and it had grown so they wanted to remove it. It was removed May 15th and at that time I was told that they were able to get all of, it no lymph nodes were involved and that I was cancer free. I went to my regular doctor this morning and he told me that the lab results came back and the tumor was melanoma. Before the operation they did a pet ct scan and all parts of my body with the exception of the left upper lobe were clean. I'm a bit unnerved by this news my regular doctor called my melanoma oncologist and they will be setting up an appointment with me to see him. I'm curious does this mean that I am now stage 4 melanoma my regular doctor didn't know for certain. He said he's not sure if this means they will start me on a drug regimen or scan me every few months and see what happens. If this has happened to anyone else please let me know what happened. I had a melanoma tumor removed from my chest in Feb of 2015 and at that time was told I was stage 3a.
Thank you George

Catherine Poole

Re: new development

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:35 am

Sorry to hear about this development and yes it has happened to others. I would make sure you are seeing a melanoma expert when deciding which treatment. Be sure to ask if the tumor was BRAF positive opening up the opportunity for more therapies. If you need further guidance feel free to email me: cpoole@melanomainternational.org. Or post here for advice.
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

georgec1

Post by georgec1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks again Catherine over the last four years every time I've asked a question you've always been there. If I remember right it is Braf+. The original tumor was on the left side of the chest and the new tumor was in the upper lobe of the left lung is this still considered localized as in stage 3 or metastasized as in stage 4. Thanks again for your help.
George

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:49 pm

If it is Braf positive then you have three options with the BRAF/Mek combination drugs in addition to the immunotherapies available. Some are actually combining immunotherapy with the Braf drugs as well. I hope you find a good therapy to get started on and let us know what you and your team decide.

georgec1

Post by georgec1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 pm

Will do and thanks again. For some reason I'm still very optimistic about this whole thing I really think it's going to work itself out just fine.
George

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:31 am

There is much to be optimistic with for melanoma. We have options of effective drugs! Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing and what your plan is. It is good to have a plan A and B too. The more you know the better you will be armed. Keep up the good work..

georgec1

Post by georgec1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 pm

I've been seeing Dr Paul Chapman the last 4 years. I heard that he and Dr Wolchok are the guys to see when you are stage 4. Thursday he started me on a opdivo infusion that I will get once a month for 12 months. I asked what happens if this doesn't work or it come back after the year and he assured me that he will be able to make up a cocktail of drugs that will work. He said that he usually has success with these drugs so for now I am not going to worry till someone tells me it's time to worry. I am very optimistic about all this I have a feeling although this may be something I'm going to have to deal with the rest of my life I plan to be around for a long time. As of right now I've outlived most of my old friends so I'm grateful for every day I get. Thanks George

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:42 am

Thats great news. Not many appreciate each day as you do! Take good care.