Statistics making me worry

Did you just receive a melanoma diagnosis? This is the perfect moderated forum to obtain information about pathology as well as get your most important questions answered.
MLDuddy

Statistics making me worry

Post by MLDuddy » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:54 am

Hello all,

Well I am newly dx this year. Done lots of research, looking at stats etc. What I cannot get my head round is I am being told I am low risk, be vigilant and enjoy life. Yet that stats for survival in 5 and 10 years tell me high survival rate at Stage 1a, but the stats show % that don’t survive this stage... i know we do not know what is round the corner but these stats are really upsetting me.. is it possible to never get another and live a happy healthy life?

Catherine Poole

Re: Statistics making me worry

Post by Catherine Poole » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:00 am

First of all, you are not a statistic. Every person has different circumstances. Sometimes the pathology is incorrect and afterall is performed by human beings. That most likely explains the difference in low risk statistics. I am 30 years out of a .76 with mitosis. My pathology was read by an expert. If you are unsure you could get another opinion on your slides by an expert. Moving on is important with melanoma but also being vigilant. Take care
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation