Recurring melanoma, anyone else?

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Farmwife

Recurring melanoma, anyone else?

Post by Farmwife » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:07 am

Hi,
I was diagnosed with melanoma in September of this year, had my WLE and SNLB done in October and all came back good and clear. Phew! Last week I found a new mole on my scar, so I had a biopsy done and today found out its positive for melanoma. And I have a few other moles around my scar that need to be biopsied now too. I just want to bawl! I have an appointment with the oncologist next week, but I am wondering in the meantime if they treat recurrences any differently? Do they usually do any scans or anything if a recurrence happens this quickly? I'm just not sure what to expect, I feel like I was more prepared the first time around....

Catherine Poole

Re: Recurring melanoma, anyone else?

Post by Catherine Poole » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:16 am

I am sure this is a shock to your system but try to take it a day at a time. Do you have pathology reports on the new biopsies?
We are here to help you!
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Farmwife

Post by Farmwife » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:16 pm

The biopsy from last week is in situ so that's good news. I'm getting a few other biopsies done next week so we will see what those end up being. I just never thought it would recurrence so fast. I'm wondering what treatment will be especially if the other moles come back positive. Or if the oncologist will want to do a ct scan.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:55 am

If the moles are insitu, they are new moles unrelated to your prior melanoma most likely. They would not be considered a recurrence, but I would ask your medical team's opinion on that.

Farmwife

Post by Farmwife » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:51 am

Ok thank you. It's just so weird that the positive mole was growing ON my scar, but we will know more next week. I'm very anxious to get the results of the other biopsies too. I looked again last night at my back and little moles just seem to be popping up all around my scar. Trying not to think about it though.....

Farmwife

Post by Farmwife » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:15 am

Also I just looked at my lab work and it says the melanoma is consistent with recurring/residual melanoma😬. I hope it's a new melanoma though, sounds like that would be the better senorio . Thanks for answering my questions, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:33 pm

I think you should see an expert if you can. Can you travel to a place of excellence? Where are you going now?

Farmwife

Post by Farmwife » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:21 am

I am going to Cancer Care to talk to the oncologist next week(the same surgeon that did my first SNLB and WLE). He specializes in melanoma and pancreatic cancer. I feel very comfortable with him but I guess I don't have much experience in this so I could be way off base. My regular dermatologist does the biopsies though and will be doing the new ones next week also. What do you think? Are there some red flags for you?

Farmwife

Post by Farmwife » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:07 am

So after doing more research I do find it strange that my lab work says its consistent with recurrent/residual melanoma in situ. That sentence is confusing to me, if I understand things correctly in situ melanoma can't usually be recurrent/residual since it's usually a new growth like you stated above. I'm going to ask my dermatologist about this on Tuesday when I go in for more biopsies and also the oncologist on Thursday. What are your thoughts Catherine?

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:47 am

What do you mean by Cancer Care? Is this a private facility? Connected to a teaching institution?
I think you need to be in the hands of experts, I find this confusing as well. It doesn't sound like a recur of the original melanoma. I would get another opinion on the pathology as well. A great place to send your slides for another opinion is: https://www.brighamandwomens.org/dermat ... e-overview

Dr. Mihm is world renown for his expertise. Where do you live? I can't help you find an expert to guide you.