Recurring melanoma, anyone else?

This moderated forum is to support the needs of patients with stage I & II melanoma, as well as answer questions about treatment options and what to expect.
Farmwife

Re: Recurring melanoma, anyone else?

Post by Farmwife » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi Catherine,
I live in Eastern Washington state and we travel to Spokane to see the dermatologist and the oncologist. Cancer care Northwest is a company here that treats all kinds of cancers, but my doctor specializes in melanoma and pancreatic cancer. I can assure you I will be asking lots more questions about my pathology results next week when I see both doctors. And will be looking elsewhere if needed. Do you have any recommendations? Or any new thoughts on my pathology results? Thanks so much!

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:54 am

It is easy enough to send your slides somewhere else to an expert for an opinion. In your area, the UCLA group is absolutely the best, Antoni Ribas, MD is the top expert there. I would go for another opinion. There is a big difference between a "new" mole and a recurrence and the treatment consequences. Feel free to call me on our helpline: 610-942-3432 if you would like to discuss further. Hope the appointment goes well
Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder
Melanoma International Foundation

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 am

PS> What did your original melanoma pathology say? How deep? What type of biopsy and you did have a WLE.

Farmwife

Post by Farmwife » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:38 am

My original melanoma was 1.15 mm thick and the mitotic rate was 4. I had a WLE and an SNLB and the nodes came back clear so we thought we were done with this.

Catherine Poole

Post by Catherine Poole » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:00 am

Let us know what your doctor says at the appt. As I suggested, a second opinion would be helpful and at a place known for excellent research to be sure.